Most of us do think that sales and business development are the 2 ways to refer to the same activity and if you are 1 of them you are absolutely thinking wrong and not doing your job correctly.
To be clear, Business Development Representatives and Sales Development Representatives are completely 2 different aspects. Believe it or not, there are enough differences to warrant both though it’s also true that both positions help to grow your business.
The Difference Between Sales and Business Development
- a. Business Development – BDR does research, finds leads, and updates its pipeline with fresh and new leads each day who are waiting for solutions or products.
- b. Sales – Sales is all about closing the qualified lead given by the BDR. Salespeople might perform some additional qualities, but their ultimate goal is to close the deal.
- Why Divide Prospecting from Closing?
- a. There is now increased difficulty in reaching buyers and searching for leads.
- b. Cannot waste the time of salespeople who are good at closing the deal instead of finding it.
- c. Helps in maximizing efficiency and output.
- When to pass lead to Sales
- a. BDR finds the prospective client discusses with them but when the prospect is interested and connects BDR to the decision maker.
- b. Whether the prospect needs a solution in near future.
- c. If the prospect is having set budget to spend.
Again, it differs from company to company where sometimes the salespeople go beyond and handle many operations likewise BDR.
- The difference in BDR and sales calls.
- a. BDR find the prospect if they are interested in any solution or product.
- b. Sales conversation should pick up from where BDR left off.
- c. Sales cover a wide range of things like comparing products/services to competitors’.
- d. Setting up demo
- e. Price breakdowns
- f. Implementation plans
Now, all of this isn’t meant to de-value the functions of any BDR or Sales. Both jobs are tuff and very important for the company’s growth making it an extremely difficult career, one with constant denial and pressure to succeed.
Despite their apparent overlap, still they are very different.
I hope enjoyed reading this and sharing your thoughts what do you think about this?