The client required the creation of a web application able to cope with various test formats. The project involved the creation of a complete e-learning portal for students where they can learn and practise for exams. There were a total of 12 question types which were based on different formats. There was the requirement to involve adaptive testing because, based on student responses, the computer programme needed to adjust the difficulty of questions throughout the assessment.
The approach that made this project successful was through forming ideas about best practices regarding how to deal with complexity and the critical success factors involved in this. When looking at project success, project failure and its recognition and avoidance is an important part of success.
Part of the approach we followed:
• Complete functional specification
• Analysis of complete question formats
• Creation of tests based on questions
• Discussion on what kind of reporting is required
• Discussion on how the adaptive test will work
• Discussion on how practice exams and actual exams will take place
• Specification of the functionality to manage the time of the exam
• Discussion on whether there is a requirement to save the exam in order to resume it later in case of practising